Administering Idaho's Workers' Compensation Law

Employer Information

Most employers are required to carry workers' compensation for their employees. You can get full information on our Employer FAQ's page, which gives basic information about coverage requirements in Idaho.

You can also learn about:

Policy Reporting Requirements (top)

Effective August 1, 2013, the Idaho Industrial Commission will begin receiving Idaho workers’ compensation insurance policy data from the National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI) in the IAIABC EDI POC Release 3.0 format. This change will affect what insurance carriers are required to report to NCCI.
Some of the key changes coming in Release 3.0 are the addition of data elements to identify deductible policies, professional employer organization (PEO) and client company relationships, state premium, as well as the addition of several new cancellation reasons including “failure to submit payroll information”. A copy of the data element requirements, event tables and edit matrix are available on the Commission’s website. Also, please refer to NCCI’s Proof of Coverage Circular, POC-ID-2013-0, which is available on NCCI’s website at for additional instructions on the requirements for Proof of Coverage Release 3.0.
The administrative rules of the Industrial Commission require that new policies, renewal policies, reinstatements and endorsement information must be reported to NCCI within 30 days of the effective date. Cancellations and non-renewals must be reported to NCCI within the time frames required by Idaho Code §72-311.

If you have any questions regarding the new reporting requirements, please contact Evan Sailor, Employer Compliance Manager, Idaho Industrial Commission, at (208) 334-6099 or by email at

Exemptions for family members (top)

Family members of business owners operating either as a sole proprietorship or as a single member limited liability company that is taxed as a sole proprietorship are automatically exempt from coverage under the Idaho workers’ compensation law and the insurance requirement of that law, but only so long as the family member employee is residing with the family member owner of that business (Idaho Code § 72-212(4)).

Only family member employees of a sole proprietor employer who do not reside in the same household as the owner employer may file an election for exemption from coverage and the insurance requirement under this law by filing this  IC53 Election for Exemption form with the Commission (Idaho Code § 72-212(5)).

Click to View the chart which identifies those family relationships which are eligible for these exemptions.

Self-Insurance Eligibility(top)

Large employers may be eligible to self-insure their liability under the Idaho Workers’ Compensation Law provided they meet specific requirements. Approval for self insurance must be granted by the Industrial Commission. Information regarding the statutory deposits can be found here. For additional information on the self-insurance requirements, refer to IDAPA Rule 17.02.11. If you have additional questions or need to obtain an application, contact Nick Landry, (208)334-6042.

Rates (top)

Insurance companies authorized to write workers’ compensation insurance in Idaho are required to abide by the rates set by the National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI).  Insurance companies can request approval of a rate deviation from the Idaho Department of Insurance.  The Idaho State Insurance Fund has published their workers’ compensation insurance rates per $100 of payroll.  Please note that your insurance company may charge more or less than the State Insurance Fund for comparable insurance. 

For current NCCI rates for self-insured employers, please click here.

Reporting injuries (top)

If a work-related injury or illness results in lost work time or requires medical treatment, that injury or illness must be reported to the Idaho Industrial Commission. This is done with a First Report of Injury or Illness form. Before completing the form, be sure to read the instructions. The form can be filled out and sent as an email attachment.

Rehabilitation services (top)

The Industrial Commission offers rehabilitation services to Idaho workers injured on the job. We have rehabilitation staff in our eleven field offices, including a rehabilitation office in Boise separate from our main office. Rehabilitation professionals can help workers get back to work after a disabling injury or illness.

Election of coverage (top)

Even though they may be exempt from the insurance requirement of the Workers’ Compensation Law, sole proprietors, partners, working members of a limited liability company, certain corporate officers, and others may elect coverage through a declaration in writing of the insurance company and the employer.

Across state lines (top)

The state of Idaho has signed agreements with several states in the region that allow Idaho employers to maintain Idaho workers' compensation coverage for employees working across state lines. These are known as reciprocal agreements.

The Industrial Commission can issue an extraterritorial certificate for Idaho employers. You can request this by email. You can also call the Industrial Commission at 208-334-6000 and ask for Employer Compliance. We need the following information: 

  • Requestor's name, position, telephone number and e-mail address.
  • The name and address of the employer, the legal entity (i.e. sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation), and a description of the type of business operated by the employer.
  • The employer's Idaho workers' compensation insurance company, policy number and effective date.
  • The state where the employees will be working.
  • The effective date of the extraterritorial certificate.

Employer resources (top)


The Industrial Commission has compiled information on topics of interest to employers into several brochures:

Public Service Announcements

The Industrial Commission worked with DaviesMoore to produce informational television and radio spots to help educate employers and employees about compliance with workers' compensation laws. Click below to view the spots:

Useful Links

Online Business Registration

The Idaho Business Registration system is used by the Idaho Industrial Commission, the Idaho State Tax Commission, and Department of Labor as a one-stop way to register as an Idaho employer.


Visit our posters page for a full list of required and optional posters for employers.

Sureties Authorized to Write Workers' Compensation in Idaho

The Idaho Industrial Commission has compiled a list of active insurance companies authorized to write workers' compensation in Idaho.

Small Business Solutions

The Idaho Small Business Solutions web site can provide you with direct information about starting a business in Idaho.

Start Your Small Business Right

This forum provides valuable information to help an owner handle starting a new business.  Several state and federal agencies give a short presentation regarding answers to questions such as:  what responsibilities come with having employees, how to determine whether you have an employee or an independent contractor, when to pay sales tax; how to avoid penalties, which forms to file and when and where to file them, how to get SBA assistance,  and much more.